Another day, and other page of my children's picture book

Here’s another example of an image that works in both the 16:9 e-book aspect ratio and as a square for the print version of my book.

I call this 16:9, but when I measured it, I found that it’s really 16:10. I’ll expand the image in InDesign to fit into the e-book template. When expanding images it’s important to have a sufficiently high resolution that the expanded image doesn’t drop below 300 dpi. When that happens Ingramspark will reject the upload. It’s a good idea to work with 400 or 600 dpi images just in case you have to do something funky.

The e-book version of the page…

The square print version… Note the white margin on the left of the page. That margin is on the side that attaches to the spine. It’s on the left for odd numbered pages and on the right side for even numbered pages.

More E-BOOK Image Shenanigans

Yesterday I showed a square image that I plan to crop for use into a 16:9 aspect ratio e-book image.. Today, I’ll show an HD aspect ratio image that I’m going to crop into a square image for my print book. This image, when finished, will have unimportant details on the left side of the image. I’ll be putting text there.

The colors are off in this image, waytoo saturated…I’ll have to work on that. Several other images have the same problem. Every time I tweaked this image, the colors got darker as I hurried to meet my deadline.

The  light cyan border shows the HD aspect ration of the e-book version. The dark cyan border shows how the image will be cropped for the print version.

The light cyan border shows the HD aspect ration of the e-book version. The dark cyan border shows how the image will be cropped for the print version.

Painting in Krita for the First TIme

I’ve decided to do all of my painting using Krita, which means that I’ll be doing my painting on my desktop computers, and eventually on my Linux setup. I started using Krita by editing a picture that needs to be squared to fit into the print version of my book. This particular image is quite a mess. Momma Jay’s body and arms are truncated and, for some unknown reason, I changed the color palette for this image and Momma Jay’s pink hair and hot pink accents are too saturated. I’ll have to do some repainting. I will also extend the picture downward to add more of her arms. It’s a work in progress and I’ll be completing this do-over tomorrow.

This is the original image…

buddy_ask_to_join_family_indesign_blog.jpg

And this is the image I’m working on in Krita

buddy_ask_to_join_family_indesign.jpg

The InDesign File -> Package Tool

InDesign can create a “package” containing all of the resources used to create a document. The images in an InDesign document are low-resolution placeholders linked to full-sized images stored elsewhere on the system. When I create an InDesign package, InDesign creates a package that contains all of the document’s resources, including a copy of the InDesign .indd file and copies of the linked images. InDesign changes the image links in the .indd file to point to the images in the package directory. The package is now a clone of the original project. It stands on it own and can be sent to another person for editing. Who knows, I might someday have to send my Jaybird book to an editor, graphic designer, collaborator, etc. so that they can work on my project with a complete set of files.

In the example below I have opened the InDesign document contained in a package. When I edit the images in the package, the images will automatically be updated in the package’s InDesign file.

This example shows a page containing a low-res copy of a PSD file.

I edited the image in the package Photoshop and turned off the color layers.

When I return to InDesign, I can see that the image has been automatically updated. This is very cool!

InDesign_image_autoupdated.png

Learning InDesign Basics

Through my day job I have access to Lynda.com. I found a course called “InDesign: Creating Fixed-Layout EPUBS”. It’s a three-hour course that targets what I need to do with InDesign: create an EPUB. It’s a course that would have saved me many hours of frustration.

Today was a balmy, sunny day perfect for a Vitamin D Club outing. As the other member of the club basked in the sun, I retired to the shade and did some doodling…rough doodling of what’s supposed to be a Jaybird and a Monarch butterfly on the wing to Mexico. I’m thinking of my next book.

flying_down_to_mexico_blog.jpg children's book, flying down to mexico, jaybird, butterfly, buddies

inDesign: It's Not Hard; It's Tedious

Besides going shopping at the local food co-op, I spent the day moving text and files to a new inDesign template. My reason for moving everything? The reason is that I screwed up the margins in my first template so badly that I couldn’t figure out how to straighten them out. I spent an hour cursing inDesign, even though I secretly knew that I created the problem myself. In the end I decided to create a new book template with the correct margins and pour all of the text and images into it.

That was a great idea, but I couldn’t find a way to “pour” one file into another like old wine into a new bottle. When I admitted to myself that my knowledge of inDesign was minimal, I started copying one object at a time from the original messed up document to the new template. This method works, but it’s slow. That’s me all over: working, but slow.

Here’s dusk as I sometimes see it from my backyard.